24 April 2008

Kennedy : work begins now

April 10th saw glorious sunshine as Charles Kennedy was installed as Rector. Following a multi-faith service, Mr. Kennedy was officially welcomed as Rector in the Bute Hall, with addresses delivered by the SRC President, the Chancellor and the new Rector himself.

Following his installation, the Liberal Democrat MP told Guardian that he was pleased with the day. He said : "For me, the day went well and I hope everyone enjoyed it - I certainly did. "I am very much looking forward to the next three years but I'm aware that the hard work begins now."

Mr Kennedy will now begin his job representing the student body on University Court, a role which the previous holder of the post, Mordechai Vanunu, was unable to fulfill due to his imprisonment in Israel. The new Rector will be holding his first surgery on Friday 25th May, giving students a chance to talk to him about their ideas for the next three years.

Sarah Smith

No comments: